2 Tablespoons olive oil 4 cups broth (chicken or beef)
4 ½ pounds beef short ribs 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
1 cup chopped carrot ½ cup ruby port
1 cup chopped onion 1 ½ Tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 cup chopped celery 1 bay leaf
8 garlic cloves, chopped 2 Tablespoons butter
¼ cup honey 12 ounces baby spinach leaves
½ cup red wine vinegar
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown ribs. Return all ribs to pot.
2. Add carrots onion, celery and garlic. Cook 5 minutes. Add honey; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add vinegar and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Add broth, Port wine, red wine, thyme and bay leaf and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Cover; transfer to oven. Bake until meat almost falls off the bone, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.
5. Using tongs, transfer ribs to a large bowl. Boil cooking liquid about 10 minutes until slightly reduced.
6. Pour the liquid over the ribs. Taste to adjust salt and pepper.
7. In a separate large pot, melt 2 Tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add spinach; cook until just wilted, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Divide spinach among plates. Top with ribs and sauce.